View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
nbleak21,
Ahh, Lean Burn Honda powered cars. I spent quite a bit of time figuring mine out.

Mine had a requirement of about 63 mph or better (in fifth gear) for lean burn. That was a minimum of about 2300-2400 rpm. Interstate upgrades would defeat lean burn due to speed lost while climbing.

I use a ScanGauge to monitor engine status: Lean Burn status, load, temperatures. Do you have one?

And I discovered - after 2.5 years of lean burn frustration - that 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil per ten gallons gas enables lean burn down to about 1900 rpm, or about 45-46 mph in fifth gear in my car.

It takes most of a tank before you start seeing clear improvement. After 3-4 tanks you will likely have low speed lean burn available as long as the other engine parameters are within range. I'd recommend 4 oz per ten gallons the first time, that's the recommendation on the bottle. After that you can go down to two oz per ten gallons.

If you're thinking this can't make sense, do a search on this site for marvel mystery oil and read the posts by the other Honda lean burn owners who have tested it. Try 2-3 tanks.