View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Road trip coming up.

I have been taking public transportation to school, so I usually only drive once a week to my sister's house and every morning to the gym. Driving to the gym sounds counter-productive, but I pick up a girl. Anyway, that is an entirely different issue!

I live in Mesa, AZ, and my parents live in a town called Show Low, in the White Mountains, 163.7 miles away, according to Google. I drove up every week for part of the summer and I never felt like I figured out when to shift to neutral and when to coast in gear.

I do not know how many times I have been told to purchase a ScanGauge. I understand that one would pay for itself, it was just difficult to get over the short-term loss, especially when I worry that needless spending could keep me from purchasing a house, but one of these times that I actually study enough to need a break I will go ahead and order one.

I put in a fence for my father over the summer. That was a nightmare. He wants me to fence the other side, which is somehow longer, over Christmas break--the first fence took six weeks!

I remember driving up for Thanksgiving in my Prelude, wearing a t-shirt and shorts, with just my vent running, no heater, and passing a bank that said that it was 30°F. Then I would hug my mom and she would scream.

I would do the same thing for Christmas when it would be 25°F.

I got tired of hurting, though. Also, I recently read a post pointing out that if you take heat away from your engine, you take gas out of your tank. I guess that I will be dressing warmly.

A grill block did not make sense in the Phoenix area in summer, but I would be happy to try one in the winter. I try to minimize braking anyway, so with the cold I do not have an argument against wheelcovers although, to be honest, I think that most of the solutions that I have seen on this site are ugly, and I am trying to find a wife...

How do I show my vehicle on the left? I have a 1999 Subaru Forester (automatic). I know that I have read about successful Subaru modifications. I plan on doing a search later, but would ScanGauge, grill block, wheel covers, and a Kamm back be too much to try all at once? I know that with everything except the ScanGauge you guys would want me to do individual A-B-A testing, well, how poorly would those things need to be done in order to hurt mileage?

Even though it sounds amazingly boring, I would be willing to try pulse-and-glide, but I already deal with more road rage than I like. I would be more willing to try it late at night, but I would have some explaining to do if I hit black ice on a mountain curve or another elk.

So, is there lower-hanging fruit than the items that I mentioned? Would the simplest grill block be with Justin Beiber duct tape?

Everybody likes pizza pans, but I remember someone using plastic serving trays. It would be easier to punch holes in those for zip ties.

Boy, my car is going to be ugly...