View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
AndrzejM
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The purpose of the 1.2 TDI was to "fit" more easily in the car and of coarse fit within the normal weight limits.

You can order stuff from overseas moderately easy these days, you just have to have bank $5k-$12k to make it happen.
I think that if you have a donor vehicle that is running properly and you are familiar with tools and DIY attitude you don't have to spend lots of money to make it happen. Of course I've removed buying Insight from the equation ;-) I'm talking of labor and parts. I was swapping many engines in my life, mostly in VAG cars, that's not so complicated as it looks like. And the most important thing is to have a whole donor car, because it has most of the parts that you have to use to finish your project. Of course you have to fabricate few things on your own, but anyway I like the idea and I'll keep my fingers crossed for TDInsight

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."