View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
How do I show my vehicle on the left? I have a 1999 Subaru Forester (automatic). I know that I have read about successful Subaru modifications.

Click on the "Garage" link on the top of the page. Then you can add a car and begin your all-important fuel log. The easiest way for you to get better mileage is to buy a more efficient, 2WD car.

I plan on doing a search later, but would ScanGauge, grill block, wheel covers, and a Kamm back be too much to try all at once? I know that with everything except the ScanGauge you guys would want me to do individual A-B-A testing, well, how poorly would those things need to be done in order to hurt mileage?

You can do a grille block and wheel covers in an hour if you have some coroplast handy. Paint the wheel covers satin black and (probably) no one will notice.

ABA testing is for the hard-core. If you just want to see benefits, read up on others' test and read up on aerodynamics. Use the Template. You'd have to screw up pretty badly to make a grille block and wheel covers hurt your mileage, but a kammback will need a bit more thought. Worst case is that it flies off on the freeway.

Even though it sounds amazingly boring, I would be willing to try pulse-and-glide, but I already deal with more road rage than I like. I would be more willing to try it late at night, but I would have some explaining to do if I hit black ice on a mountain curve or another elk.

If your brakes are in good, working order you should have no problem P&G'ing. You didn't mention EOC, especially being an auto, so braking shouldn't be an issue. Don't P&G if you're going around a twisty mountain road in the winter. Or, if you're going to, at least be confident in how your car handles outside the traction circle. I get the tail out on my Probe every morning without batting an eye.

So, is there lower-hanging fruit than the items that I mentioned? Would the simplest grill block be with Justin Beiber duct tape?

Slow down. Add a grille block and wheel covers. Add an air dam (I made a semi-professional looking one for $20). Block your grille with coroplast and zip tie it on. If you're going for classy, duct tape is your enemy.

Everybody likes pizza pans, but I remember someone using plastic serving trays. It would be easier to punch holes in those for zip ties.

Again, cut some circles of coroplast. You can try trays if you like, but they'll be more expensive and more time consuming. Man up and buy a drill.

Boy, my car is going to be ugly...

In the eye of the beholder. I'm in the same boat of trying to find a woman and have been told multiple times that it doesn't depend on your car. Well, boat tails tend to alienate you. But be yourself but have fun with it.