View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Hmmm so the difficulty with rear wheel fairings is that as you can see the wheel is almost right up against the bumper which is curved, so it'll be a little hard to attach things to.

I noticed that the rear diaper was replaced for 300 dollars by the previous owner looking through some service logs, which makes me feel bad about taking it off. I guess I should pay it some respect and put some coroplast or something where it used to be.

Lowering would be easier and improves appearance at the same time, although it costs money to do and I don't want to cough up money, heh. However if I lower the car, and then install larger rear tires (205/55/15 instead of 205/50/15 for 10mm increase in height off the ground) then that'll offset it a little, and give the car a bit of "rake" towards the front which will help marginally with the wake.

I don't think the buttresses will interfere with top operation because the top is narrower at the top than at the sides. The buttresses can come up until the window's round corner starts, and I think the top should fold just like it does stock. However it's tempting to fabricate a Kammback starting from the buttresses that goes over the end of the top!

I need to just sit down for a few hours and do a really nice sketch of my car during break or something, then I could imagine how buttresses would look. Currently I am thinking painting them metallic gunmetal gray, that should look good against the red of the car. I don't mind them being not high enough for optimal drag reduction if they look really good haha.

I will still tuft test but it seems like a spoiler will have to be raised some amount over the rear deck if it's going to get anywhere near the template and not poke out too far behind. One of the best things about this car is how easy it is to park because it's so short!

Last edited by serialk11r; 12-08-2012 at 11:01 PM..