View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #62 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Last tank was 32.5 MPG, very close to the one before. I'm going to try to clean the carbon out with a water injection setup. If that fails I will pull the upper intake and clean the EGR system. Not getting any indication of a problem with EGR flow.

I found some 15 inch wheels, 5 for $50 (90 Bronco2, same platform as the Ranger). The reason I want them is to be able to replace the tires with some Bridgestone Ecopias, which are supposed to be the lowest rolling resistance tires available for 15 inch wheels. Very little is still available for the 14 inch wheels that came on this truck. They are load rated for just over 1200 pounds a tire so that should work well with the truck a little under 3000 pounds (5k gross weight).

Dropped the rear axle cover yesterday and changed the rear end fluid. The magnetic fill plug had a very small trace of metal paste which I cleaned off. I also cleaned the rear cover and painted it.

This tank is looking very good for mileage. Hit 125 miles at 3/4 reading. last couple of tanks were about 10-15 miles less. Most of these miles are under ideal road circumstances and will probably be the best mileage until spring when temperatures rise and winter blend switches over to summer. Last fill was the cheapest gas in quite some time at $2.939 a gallon for E10. There are only two stations within 50 miles that sell straight gas and the price difference is much too great to justify the cost.

Within the next few weeks I plan on finishing the rear extension of the aero cap. It will extend 4 inches past the open tailgate so I could haul a 4X8 sheet of plywood with the cap and extension in place. I'm still working on how it will open and close, but the main part of the cap will be hinged on the side so it can be opened for loading things like a yard of mulch or bulky limbs or other larger stuff.

regards
Mech