View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Most modifications you can buy off the shelf will trade fuel economy for more power, and sometimes just hurt economy for no gain, with a few exceptions.

Start with keeping your tires pumped up near max sidewall and a partial grill block, and maybe run some ducting from the stock air box so it draws in warm air from near the exhaust manifold. I don't know much about tuning but I'm only aware of 2 factors that might help FE, and those are ignition timing (risk predetonation) and leaning out the burn (will likely cause you to fail emissions). Probably best not to touch the factory tune as you'll get small gains at best and always at a tradeoff, the engineers at GM are no dummies.

The biggest factor you can change is the nut behind the wheel. Slowing down from 70 to 60 on the highway brings me from 30 to 38mpg for instance, and learning how to drive without needing to brake will help tons in the city. I can't remember who said it, but it helps me to think that pressing the brake pedal is a great way to turn gasoline into brake dust. Some ideas: don't race ahead to that next redlight, take your foot off the gas early coast in so you arrive with some momentum when it turns green. Pick your routes carefully to avoid stop signs, as there's no way to outsmart them. Etc.

EDIT: Btw, welcome to Ecomodder!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
user removed (12-09-2012)