View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm so the difficulty with rear wheel fairings is that as you can see the wheel is almost right up against the bumper which is curved, so it'll be a little hard to attach things to.
Abaft the rear wheel, it looks like you could have a V-shape with a vertical rear edge. And in front they could be rounded instead of the flat version in the drawing (it was for a truck). we're only talking about the tread width 205mm. Front-to-back about 200mm in front and 300-350mm (~1 foot) in back would be good proportions. Then lower it and let them wear off on the bottom.

Quote:
I noticed that the rear diaper was replaced for 300 dollars by the previous owner looking through some service logs, which makes me feel bad about taking it off. I guess I should pay it some respect and put some coroplast or something where it used to be.
Going strictly by the side view drawing, it looks like it's not hanging lower. A rear partial belly pan might be enough.

Quote:
...However it's tempting to fabricate a Kammback starting from the buttresses that goes over the end of the top! (I will still tuft test but it seems like a spoiler will have to be raised some amount over the rear deck if it's going to get anywhere near the template and not poke out too far behind. One of the best things about this car is how easy it is to park because it's so short!)

I need to just sit down for a few hours and do a really nice sketch of my car during break or something, then I could imagine how buttresses would look...
Do it! Try laying the top view Sven7 posted over a top view of the GM EV-1 electric. It is a very aerodynamic car, but doesn't follow the template as much as it does Jaray:

Do you know what a Carson top is? As much as you say you use the soft top, a Carson top with a nice skylight or T-top might serve well.