View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Lightbulb Linner Strømlinet Vogn II

Let me preface by saying I've asked for Leitman's How to Build an Electric Car book for Yule, so hopefully that will answer some questions.

-------

I've been studying ecomarathon cars in the pursuit of ultimate energy efficiency in a planned electric reverse-trike project. Among a few of the most outrageous prototypes this one stood out. I've been trying to work out a viable package for the driver and equipment, however interior shots are hard to find for these things. Finally, a French-language web page emerged, which I link to you now.

(Google Chrome automatically translates for you)
Les stars du Shell Eco-marathon Europe : Polyjoule et Microjoule - Page 3

The highlights, according to the site:
-Started const. in 1984, unbeaten since 1992.
-Cx of 0.11 (Same as Cd?)
-Weight of 30kg, or 66 lbs.
-8,924 MPG (Yes, nine thousand)
-Apparently fiberglass body shell and carbon fiber wheels.

Now, obviously driving it would literally be a pain in the butt. I would, though, like to adapt some of the technology to road use in a hyper-efficient commuter. A few questions:

Does anyone know what the wheels are made of, what size they are, and what type of tires were used? CRR of those tires?

I would like some up-close shots of the steering linkages and knuckles.

What is the frame made of, and what does it look like?

What's the turning radius?

Frontal area (to calculate CdA)? Seems to be around 0.4 CdA!!!

I plan on using a steering interface not unlike a recumbent bicycle, as it will make ingress and egress much easier (no wheel to climb under). Not sure where to position the batteries. Front suspension would probably be a variation on Ford's Twin I-Beam setup. Simple (primitive), robust. Rear would be custom-built similar to motorcycle rear suspension.

I think I'm on the right track, bodywork wise. The driver's (my) feet should rest just aft of the front axle(s). It should be a reclined, but not extreme, driving position with my back rather close to the rear wheel.

A quick sketch... I'll upload more later, perhaps. Surely I have enough pages filled with this thing

Stomlinet Vogn by Tyler Linner, Intergalactic Man of Mystery, on Flickr

Does anyone know about making custom in-hub electric motors? The ones on e-bicycles only go 45mph. I suspect the higher powered ones might sustain an ecomarathon car at highway speeds, but getting there would be a problem. The goal weight for the vehicle would be around 700lbs with batteries, without rider and cargo (+150lbs). I would need around 25hp to equal the power-to-weight ratio of a diesel Mk1 Golf. That's the performance goal.

Range goal is 100-150mi. Lofty? Maybe. But with Volts and Leafs on the market, perhaps Li-ion batteries will not be so expensive?

Oh, and I don't want to be a dick about this, but can we keep the random image/tangent posting to a minimum in this thread, pretty please?

Okay, discuss.

Last edited by Sven7; 12-10-2012 at 05:29 PM..