View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #183 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The only variation in controls that I'm contemplating (but this is waaaaay down the road) is a third pedal on the left (where the clutch would be) for all the regenerative braking. The accelerator would be just for power (fancy that?) and the middle pedal is just for friction brakes. This puts the "integration" of braking in the control of the driver, maximizing the efficiency, and would greatly simplify the systems.

As long as we're talking future plans - I hope that after I get CarBEN EV5 up and running, that I then could work with the folks at Energy Return Wheel to make an airless ultra-low rolling resistance wheels. Their current designs, unfortunately are high aero drag because they are open on the sides. If low RR dictates a stiffer wheel then the suspension needs to be redesigned:

It might be possible to work with Levant Power to make regenerative shocks that take advantage of the stiffer wheels. The suspension needs to be more compliant for small motions since the wheels would be passing more energy into the suspension, so to both avoid a harsh ride and to make a bit more energy from it; rather than just heat up the shocks.

Oh, and ideally any low aerodynamic drag car needs ride leveling and height control, too.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/