View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Well, I got the car in the garage this afternoon and started going over it. I want to be sure it is safe and everything is working the way it should.

First off, the car grinds going into first. I don't have a service manual yet, but one is on the way. I am thinking I can adjust the clutch play or the clutch, synchro, or something else is shot.

Second, the car bucks when I take my foot of the gas. I was doing between 55 and 65 on the way home and anytime I took my foot off the gas pedal it would start to buck. I am not sure if that is a fuel thing, timing, clutch, flux capacitor, but I am going to look into it.

Third, there was a puddle of oil in the air filter pan.

Fourth, the fun begins! I was underneath the car checking the suspension and steering components and found that there was a hole in the front of the exhaust pipe right underneath the manifold. Exhaust leaks aren't good and I needed to get the pipe fix or just replace it.

I went to unbolt it and of course I broke the first bolt. Yes, I used PB Blaster and let it soak. No, it really didn't matter what I did. We will get to this in a minute.

I after unbolting the exhaust pipe and inspected it, it turns out that the pipe is double walled as there is no hole inside the pipe, only on the outside. So, I went ahead and broke off both bolts for no reason. Yeah!!

I went ahead and took the manifold off since it would be easier to work on.

After lining up the manifold with my drill press, I got about halfway into the bolt and decided that drilling out the bolt (with a mostly crooked hole), was not the answer. I busted out the Dremel and went to town. I am going to use a stainless bolt of slightly less diameter with the old springs, plus some washers here and there, to put the exhaust back on.

The other bolt is still in there. I am going to go back at it in the morning. I don't think any amount of PB, heat or cursing would have gotten either one of those bolts out without breaking them. Those bolts were rusted solid in there and you can see the rust on every part of the threads on the bolt I got out. I would have welded a nut to the end of them, but I don't have a welder and to get them welded would have cost too much. After all, this is a budget beater....

I am also concerned that everything underneath the hood is covered with oil sludge. It is apparent that it is leaking oil as there were drips under the car after only a few minute of it being parked. I am thinking oil pan or main seal, but need the service manual to see exactly what is involved with changing one. I might just leave it alone, but really don't like the thought of oil dripping everywhere.

I have a torn CV boot. If this wasn't a beater, I'd replace the whole axle since dirt has probably gotten in there. But, maybe I can just replace the boot.

Lastly, I am pretty sure the steering rack is well worn. Does it need to be replaced? The car steers fine except that I can feel a click whenever I made slight corrections on the highway and while feeling the click, the car would steer way more than I wanted to.

Bottom line is, this car was $1,000. I am not complaining one bit that it needs some work. It was a fun night!!