View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanDriver View Post
Metros are known for having downshifting problems into 1st and 2nd - you basically cannot.

To get into 2nd on mine, I briefly try and shift into 1st just to spin up the clutch disc, then enter 2nd.

Penzoil Synchromesh from Autozone is recommended for our transmissions.

In regards to PB blaster, you need to let it soak for like a week. I've always been amazed how well it worked. If you only tried for a day, that's the reason you broke the bolts.

Steering rack - the teeth wear in the straight head position. The right part of the rack is supported, but the left side just hangs and there is a spring loaded plunger that pushes rack against the pinion. With a shimmy (which these cars seem to always have balance issues and bent rims) the two wear. Very common.

That said, check your inner and out tie rods for play, also your ball joints.

That puddle in your air cleaner - might be from excessive blowby - might be your PCV valve is plugged.

Head over to Geo Metro Forum - got mpg? where all us metro/swift guys hang out.
Okay, about to head out there and fix the exhaust with some stainless bolts. I also got some oil/filter, Synchromesh, a PCV valve and spark plugs for a little tune up.

I made an account over on the other forum and posted up in the projects section.