View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
I don't think there's much you can do to the 323 that will drastically change its Cd, yer kinda stuck with what you have. Having all the windows removed plays hell on trying to figure out how to make your car more aero. Aerodynamic things allow the air to return to where it was before you got there as gently as possible, so smooth shapes help. Open/missing windows are not smooth.

You are caught in a balancing act between downforce and drag, downforce creates drag. I would think you would try to do everything you could to improve the suspension of the car getting the car to have as much cornering grip as possible so you can carry as much speed as possible through corners. A car that can keep as much rubber on the track as possible would be better than on that slips through the air cleanly. I'd think horsepower and grip would be 85% of what you need to focus on.

My only aero suggestion would be Limbo.....as in "How low can you go!". That will reduce aero drag, create more downforce, and force you to tune the suspension to work opitimally.

Aerohead brought up a good point regarding exhaust, you may want to consider figuring out a way to get fresh air (fresher air) blowing on your face for both health and comfort. It got me to thinking about what would happen if OSHA monitored the air quality the NASCAR drivers breathe during a race.