View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #507 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Answering JWJINMAN.......Yes indeed Diesels are in fact easier to adapt to as the rapid burn of the HHO gas actually makes the engine run cooler. I must say though, the new diesels are running in much the same manner as gas engines and will require all sorts of tweaking to fool the computers. Maybe you have noticed how popular the old Mercedes Mod. 123 diesels are. Nothing but the turbo to deal with. The engine in this Japanese van being from 1991 is also very simple. I mentioned in my earlier post that I wanted primarily to push less crap into the atmosphere and that I have achieved massively.
As far as the test, I was interested in finding out how well the system works on highway driving. That particular run was only about 48km. I have tried several other times to achieve a test over 300 plus km, sadly each time something interfered.
We seem to have all the bugs out of the system now and tomorrow I will have a much larger capacity alternator installed and after that I will make another run.
I would never claim anything other than what I said I fuelled. One must not forget that distilled water is not free, nor is the filter, but that is getting into costs etc
I only reported what we found the day the runs were done.
Next year when my plate renewal comes up I will have the official emissions test done by the Govt of B.C. The comparisons with the prev. 6 years will be intersting
Hope that answers some of your questions
It seems like those who claim the greatest benefits are those driving ancient tech diesels. My experience from working for Mercedes in the early 1980s was when the 240-300 D & TD models got close to 100k miles (not kilometers) you found the break off pressures of the injectors had dropped off by about 15-20%. Installing rebuilt injectors brought the pressures back to specs and we found later that simply replacing the spring in the injector did the same thing, Never got to try shimming the spring, or going beyond the high side of the spec for a new injector (or rebuilt) at 1800 PSI. The complaint about black exhaust was almost always due to lower injector breakoff pressures. It may be that your HHO setup compensated for the same issues that were fairly universal among old tech diesels and you reference to newer diesels not responding to the HHO injection reflects the change in technology to dramatically reduce emissions. Not sure about Canada, but the recent change in US specs for diesel fuel which virtually eliminated the sulfer content of the new fuel blends also greatly reduced the visible smoke emissions.

I would suspect that your improvement may be due in a large part (possibly completely) to the break off pressures of your old tech mechanical injectors being significantly below spec, something which would be addressed by a thorough diesel tune up with each injector break off pressure and flow pattern being checked outside the engine.

regards
Mech