View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #37 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Are they still injecting fuel into the exhaust at the turbo to increase their boost and give it some exhaust thrust as well? I am guessing not considering the news of the hybrid design

Back when I was 18 I really loved car racing. Got over it. by the time I was 30 I was a motorcycle racer and thought car racing was for wussies. When I turned 50 I was enamored with bicycle racing by the time I was 55 I was loving speed bike racing, trouble was I was driving for 2 days to race for an hour. I have figured it out, racing is all kind of just a waste except for the mental exercise of the designers and riders.

The nice thing about the testing on this list is that we actually get use out of what we drive.
No need for extra injectors. Now they simply shut off the spark or retard the timing and fuel enriched air goes straight out the exhaust, igniting on the way out to energise the diffuser. They even had off-throttle maps that kept the throttle open without driver input so that they could send hot exhaust straight over the diffuser while the driver was on the brakes.

This would have worked great as an anti-lag system for the new 2014 spec 1.6 liter V6 turbos, but they banned the sneaky off-throttle maps last season.