View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #52 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I notice you're up to 5 posts with a join date in this month. Here is a thread that came and went in the Hybrids forum, before you joined. You may also find comments of interest in Motorcycles /scooters

The Zing! (Custom-built prototype hybrid tadpole trike)

There is more going on here than you may realize at first, use the Search function to see if terms of interest have been discussed before. Here's a current thread with a parallel discussion: Linner Strømlinet Vogn II

============

Quote:
So, you think that I'd be wasting my time/effort with individual front wheel airfoils? The thought I had was to do the front of the wheels like the F1, the take the basic shape that they put in front of the rear tires and turn it around, and taper a little air push inward toward the back of the car.
A vertical airfoil around the tire—maybe; horizontal airfoils around the A-arms—not so much. A separate pontoon fender that turns with the wheel has less frontal area but can act like a rudder.

The problem area with tadpoles IMHO is the turbulent air behind the front tires. The Zing for instance has a rapid rise on the underside of the front fender. It could be lowered and truncated for access to the cabin. (The peak of the fender is maybe a foot behind the axle centerline, and it has no plan taper.)

Quote:
The Aptera claimed .19 cd I think, while the new Tesla S claims a .24 cd. On the reverse trike, if that is the range that I have control over, would it make a huge difference on mileage?
.19/.24=~80%. Assume drag is 1/2 aero and 1/2 rolling resistance, then maybe 10% difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
namenerb (12-21-2012)