View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Interesting. But which country now has BY FAR the worlds biggest military...is ignoring international law along with it's little friend in the ME....is essentially lining up to be...or is lined up to be the next country to go bonkers and try to rule the world using military might? Also can't seem to take care of it's own infrastructure while it tears up other countries and then does a half*ss rebuild? Has increased it's military spending by 50% in a decade...now has a seriously large internal police force. Is up to it's eyeballs in debt....ALWAYS destabilizing. I wonder what country that could be....???

Trust me...we're heading down that road...yes...we went there.....
The US is far from a perfect country and, were you and I to sit down together over a cup of coffee, I suspect we'd agree on many of the flaws and mistakes. However, I strongly reject the notion that other countries all have their act together and the US is just "bassackwards as usual." The United States of America is, and has been, the greatest country on the face of the earth by any objective standard. Does she have her flaws? Certainly. But the US has done more good for more people than any other country. Heck, most of Europe would most likely be under tyranny from either the Germans or the Russians without the help of the US in 2 world wars.

Now, getting back to your original post, while I have no doubt that Germany is doing some good things, I'd like to point out that there's a big difference bettween having energy plans, and actually carying them out. The US has had plenty of plans, many of which are officially "law", going back to at least Nixon, detailing how we'll be energy independent by XXX year, or that we'll use so much renewable fuel by XXX year, etc.

I'd also like to point out that doing this type of thing from a top-down approach is very difficult because not all that's "green" or "clean" or "renewable" is clearly good. Look at ethanol in the US for example. You also can't just mandate everything and make it happen. Look at eh cellulosic ethonal mandate for example.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
radioranger (12-24-2012)