View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #84 (permalink)
slownugly
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
Thanks for the info California

I'm laying on the sofa thinking of different ways to improve the efficiency of the car and I don't think I'm going to touch on the weight savings too much. I'm thinking about belly pans and different materials that could be used to make them. I suppose a common concensus would say that coroplast is the way to go but I really don't like the way it looks. I'd want my car to look clean and like the pans were made that way from the factory. Im thinking about using black plastic and different ways to acquire it. I looked on a plastics website and buying plastics in sheets outright is very expensive.

I was thinking about what cars would have large flat sheets of plastic that would be easy to work with,easy to acquire, and cheap to acquire. Immediately Saturn came to mind. In my past body work experiences I've performed work on Saturn doors where the entire door skin is removable. They are at most you-pull-it yards and can be had for a good price. They are also easily removeable and relatively flat. With a heat gun and a cutoff wheel one door could be flattened and trimmed then fitted and secured with clips. I'll start a thread in aero when I get to it but I just wanted to throw the idea out there.