View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
The US is far from a perfect country and, were you and I to sit down together over a cup of coffee, I suspect we'd agree on many of the flaws and mistakes. However, I strongly reject the notion that other countries all have their act together and the US is just "bassackwards as usual." The United States of America is, and has been, the greatest country on the face of the earth by any objective standard. Does she have her flaws? Certainly. But the US has done more good for more people than any other country. Heck, most of Europe would most likely be under tyranny from either the Germans or the Russians without the help of the US in 2 world wars.
The US used to be the shining city on the hill or some such....but I think things have gone downhill since. US won't sign the Kyoto type treaties on GW....US is a major purveyor of weapons...has serious debt issues....biggest military...all makes for bad news ahead.

I've seen lists of areas where the US is way behind many other countries. Things might be more dire than you think?

https://www.truthdig.com/report/item...ttle_20121223/

Since 9/11 Americans have been systematically stripped of their freedoms: Their phone calls are monitored under [George W.] Bush and Obama’s warrantless wiretapping program, they are videotaped relentlessly in public places, there are drones over American soil and the police control protesters and dissenters with paramilitary gear and tactics. As long as Obama and the leadership of both parties want the military to police our streets, we will fight. This is unacceptable, un-American and unconstitutional.”

The corporate state knows that the steady deterioration of the economy and the increasingly savage effects of climate change will create widespread social instability. It knows that rage will mount as the elites squander diminishing resources while the poor, as well as the working and middle classes, are driven into destitution. It wants to have the legal measures to keep us cowed, afraid and under control. It does not, I suspect, trust the police to maintain order. And this is why, contravening two centuries of domestic law, it has seized for itself the authority to place the military on city streets and citizens in military detention centers, where they cannot find redress in the courts. The shredding of our liberties is being done in the name of national security and the fight against terrorism. But the NDAA is not about protecting us. It is about protecting the state from us. That is why no one in the executive or legislative branch is going to restore our rights. The new version of the NDAA, like the old ones, provides our masters with the legal shackles to make our resistance impossible. And that is their intention.

But since it is almost Christmas...we should pretend along with Virginia...that Santa is coming to town...so you'd better be nice or do don't get nothin'!

Besides...THEY are watching...if you don't like Christmas...you might get on THE list...THOSE who don't like Christmas?

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL