View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
I found one 12 by 24 inch and I could attach it to the inside windshield using suction cup thingys and running the cord through the engine compartment next to the block heater plug
In my electric car I've taken to running heavy gauge extension cord from the charging plug to locations where I want stuff like heaters to plug in and I bought a Woods programmable timer with battery back up to turn my heater on and off.

My electric car is old enough that it just has a standard cord end inlet:

And it works really well! for a while for the heater I just had the heater cord dangling out the passenger door and plugging an extension cord in to a cord that is dangling gets old after a while, a ridged mounted inlet is much easier to deal with and the weather tight cover keeps the contacts clean!

A small dehumidifier is the other thing that I really like having in a plug in car, I have a Amazon.com: Eva-dry Electric Petite Dehumidifier: Health & Personal Care that works really well to keep the inside of the car dry so the windows don't fog up, one small modification that I did was installing a thermostat that turns it off when it's below freezing, otherwise it ices up, a better solution would be to have it cycle on and off when it's below 50F to allow it to melt the ice buildup off.

One guy I know of has a hair dryer under the seat of his EV that is timed to turn on in the mornings, it warms the steering wheel and windshield and stays hidden.