View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #41 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
After re-reading this entire thread, I was going to ask what your typical driving speeds were, but as I went through I see you aren't necessarily trying to hit/maintain the speed limit. That was a foreign concept to me until now. Do you aim for a certain speed for 6th gear? I ask because I can get just over 20mpg in 4th, but I can lately hit over 30mpg in 5th at 40-45mph...
My average speeds (based on odometer/key-on time) usually works out to usually be a little under 30 mph. That souds crazy low, but it's not quite as slow as it seems. If I put my commute into Google Maps, it says a "normal" person would drive the route at an average of just under 40 mph. Over half of it is in town, and the rest of it is on rural, lightly-travelled 4 lane divided non-interstate highway. Out on the highway, usually P&G up to a top speed of 50 mph. My bottom speed depends on traffic. If no one is around, I go down to 30 mph or so, but if other drivers are around I may only go down to 40 or so.

Quote:
A daily fuel log? Interesting concept. Makes me wonder if I can push my commute past 30mpg. May require me rearranging my daily drive to avoid morning rush hour.
A daily fuel log can do wonders if you travel a regular route. I gives you something to shoot for every day. Also, you'll start to pick up on things (good & bad) that you do that make an impact. I saw something like a 40% increase in the first 40 days I kept a daily log. There's a lot to be gained from adjusting that nut behind the wheel.

Quote:
I also did some Google searching and learned I can leave my block heater plugged in for extended periods. Thought I'd risk cooking something, so I've almost never had it plugged in more than 20 minutes... Gotta thank MetroMPG for posting stats on temp rise: Experiment: how long should a block heater be plugged in? - MetroMPG.com .
Yes, I often leave mine plugged in for hours. At least for me, the engine reaches a point where it looses enough heat natuarally to match the heat input from the heater, and then it stops getting warmer. Operating temps are normally sround 200 deg or so. I could leave my block heater plugged in forever, and wouldn't get the temp much over 140 deg F or so (depending on outside temp).

Quote:
DD, ever look at a filtermag? I don't think it does anything for FE, but it does trap ferrous debris in the oil filter... www.filtermag.com
I've never heard of them, but I'm not sure what advantage it has over a normal magnetic drain plug.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (12-26-2012)