View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
That new Ranger is fantastic. After a short drive in one, I can understand why Ford didn't send it there... Just too little differentiation from the F150. And it's likely that a diesel that America will want, like the 190hp 3.2, would push the price too close to the F150, as well. I'm betting the truck would jive well with the naturally aspirated 3.5, though.
I wouldn't doubt the new Ranger to be the base for the next F150 in the U.S. nowadays that the E-series vans are scheduled to be replaced by the Transit.

Quote:
The problem is that not many high pressure systems last past 150k miles without costly repairs. Even the best CRDI fuel systems eventually succumb to bad fuel thanks to high rail pressures, piezo injectors and dirty diesel. Then you have the issues with variable geometry turbos and oil coking.
I'd rather get a wastegate twin-scroll turbo over a VGT anytime, too bad they're not so popular in Diesels as they became in gassers.

Quote:
Still, a lot of us are worried about the developments in diesel tech. The new motors are great when new, but I wouldn't touch a ten-year old CRDI with a ten foot pole. Not unless I had an extra two or three thousand dollars to repair any issues with the fuel system. Old diesels, on the other hand, would run forever.
Altough the noise reduction and fuel-efficiency increasements led by the common-rail setups are a good point, I'd still rather get an all-mechanical Diesel due to their resistence to harsher environmental conditions. There's no school like the old-school

But for a city commuter with occasional highway cruising I wouldn't be so unfavorable to a new-school Diesel. I'd like to try a Mazda Skyactiv-D someday