View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
HydroJim
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Smurf- I'll have to look into the legality a little more, but I was under the impression that I could simply register the vehicle as the donor motorcycle and call it a day

sbestca- I'll be making my own control arms and using my own ball joints. The only ATV parts I'll be using are the uprights/spindles, the hubs, the rotors, and the calipers.

My reason for ATV parts is the weight. The whole spindle/hub/rotor assembly only weighs 5 pounds 15 ounces vs much more for other set-ups. 1.5 for the bolt pattern adapter, 9.7 pounds for VX wheels, 14 for the tires. By the time you're done, you're looking at 31 pounds per corner+ calipers, aero covers, control arms, tie rod ends. You'll have 100 pounds in the front suspension set-up before you even know it.

I'm hoping I can keep the chassis at 100 pounds, but 150 seems more realistic, plus the drivetrain which I'm guessing at 150 and soon you're at 400 pounds which is my goal weight for the completed build. Otherwise, I'll need a bigger engine.

Xist- We're not well off by any means. I don't want to share my life story, but up until recent years, my mom was barely been able to pay the rent at the numerous ****ty apartments that we've lived in. In order to provide my sister and I with a better life, my dad works on the road and I don't see him for usually 6 months at a time. The only reason I have tools to use is because he used to be an auto mechanic so he has quite a collection. And his girlfriend runs a tire shop, so they have a lot of big toys that I can use when I need them.

Don't think I'm spoiled. The whole budget for this build is provided by myself. I also bought my own car, pay the insurance, gas, and repairs. and I pay my portion of the cell phone bill each month. Not exactly tragic, but much more than can be said for most kids my age. There are kids I go to school with who drive BRAND new cars. many are upwards of $35,000.

try getting girls with that competition