View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Smurf- I'll have to look into the legality a little more, but I was under the impression that I could simply register the vehicle as the donor motorcycle and call it a day.
Doesn't Ohio require vehicles to be inspected? Even if they don't the insurance company might, and you must have insurance, right. The problem with not disclosing your modifications could come later, even if you lie to motor vehicles. If a cop pulled you over (you know they love to target young guys) and found something illegal, and that you tried to hide it, I'm sure you can imagine things could go very bad really fast. Smurf's comment regarding DOT approved parts was my big concern as well. I know that here, it is illegal to use any non DOT approved parts to build an on road vehicle. I know US regulations are much laxer than Canadian ones, but better safe than sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Don't think I'm spoiled. The whole budget for this build is provided by myself. I also bought my own car, pay the insurance, gas, and repairs. and I pay my portion of the cell phone bill each month. Not exactly tragic, but much more than can be said for most kids my age. There are kids I go to school with who drive BRAND new cars. many are upwards of $35,000.
I wouldn't call you spoiled, on the contrary. I'd say you are pretty fortunate and enterprising to have found a way to make a good income at such a young age.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km