View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
guyd
EcoModding Lurker

I have a wide angle 120 degree camera on each side. My drivers side (right) has pretty good visibility, my passenger side has just the one camera at the moment, but I have spares, Im not sure where to put them at the moment - half way along? at the back looking forward / down?

The cameras feed a security camera type quad splitter, with easy buttons on it to select any one camera or split 4 ways. This then goes to an upscaler iScan Pro, which again has nice easy to use brightness / contrast knobs on it. This should allow me to adjust the picture quickly for best view given the circumstances (night time countryside, or in town). this then goes to a 15" monitor about where the sun visor is. I am going to keep the actual mirrors in a locker for a while, and then maybe sell the mirrors and get some smaller emergency ones. Maybe fit a single wide angle to the inside passenger A pillar.

The UK truck regulations specify that you need a plain flat mirror, plus a wide angle, plus a look-down mirror on the passenger side. I am not subject to those regs though.

Oh - and I have a normal reversing camera, on its own screen.

Chip? hahhahaha - no this is a 1996 vehicle with mechanical injection - a Bosch VE pump, so no electronics. High flow exhaust? Not exactly available off the shelf, and its pretty big - 2.5 or 3" diameter, but its limited by the exhaust brake (a valve that shuts the exhaust off for massive engine braking down long hills in the Alps)