View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I have read a bit about the 1.3 IDSI equipped Fit. I only wish you could get that motor in a Honda in the USA that was not a hybrid. They are known to get mileages as good as the original Civic VX engines, and the CVT seems to work well with the fairly low horsepower output of the 1.3 which I think is a dual plug 2 valve head, with good swirl due to the offset valve locations, without any lean burn.

regards
Mech
It's one of THE best engines I've ever seen in terms of economy. About as good as many engines with a cylinder less in traffic. Shame Honda killed it in favor of a VTEC variant with the GE Fit. The fuel economy has not been the same since.

We pulled the plugs on one for an oil change, the color on the plugs was amazing. Perfectly reddish in the middle and tinged white further away from the electrode... almost as if the engine were direct injection (which it isn't). Shame they dropped this fantastic motor simply to give buyers fifteen more horses at revs they'll never reach in daily driving... and the IDSI had better low-end response, too.