View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #51 (permalink)
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
Great i was thinking of the possibility of doing a fairing in the other direction on the nose of my Ranger, it is very blunt and the rain on the top of the hood just sits there at highway speed. I was thinking something sort of like a forties car hood sitting on top of the one i have, sectioned of course or just a ships prow type of air dam, made of foam or similar with clear covers for the lights set at an angle, also in the theory angle , doesnt these extreme wing shaped extensions generate lift on the body of the car and isnt that what Pete Brock ran into with the Daytona Cobra coupe. not that we're going fast but just in theory ,
Someone else might disagree but I say don't bother. While blunt across the middle the leading edges are rounded with several inch radii. That's enough for attached flow which is the goal in front. (Going for more attached is like more pregnant.)

What make rear hood rain pause is eddy currents. That's high fruit to pick. You NEED visibility. A transparent hood blister would preserve safety. But you have to re-engineer wipers, etc. Your windshield-roof transition and A-pillar radii should still be generous enough for attached flow.

If you want to improve MPG, start at the back. That's the low hanging fruit to pick first. An aero cap is hard to beat. Several build threads show different approaches. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. A firm tonneau cover provides good bang for the buck. A partial tonneau (rear only) does (arguably) marginally better. Straight caps with a big square backs add drag (wake suction & eddy currents).

Good luck. Good on you for doing homework first. Be sure to report your mods and results. Maybe we'll learn something too.

radioranger (01-03-2013)