View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
flying kurmaster
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Guyd I have a similar shaped brick only smaller. It is an all alluminium kurbmaster camper with a 6cyl 292 petrol engine. So far I have installed a camback, a partial boat tail if you can call it that, wings down the sides at the back about 150mm angled in at 15% forming a box shape, a grill block, a small air dam, fender skirts.I have found no noticeble improvement in mpg after testing for around 1000 kms I am still on or around 16 mpg (imp) there has been improvement in the stability of the van and I find myself driving 10% faster. I am in the process of installing a full belly pan and skirts down the side which I have not tested as of yet as it is not quite finished. I plan on changing the front bumper and scooping the air under in a smoother fashion. From my experience so far, I have a feeling that my gains will be minimum. I also plan on replacing the clutch fan for an electric one and removing the air polution pump this is where I think I will see some gains. All these aeros have made it quieter and nicer to drive but have done little so far to improve my fuel economy. I think you are looking in the right direction focusing on the engine and drive train. someone pointed me to a TExas study that said by installing a 140mm radius above the windshield on busses like yours would reduce drag substantially, how that will reflect on you fe with your roof is anyones guess. Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to flying kurmaster For This Useful Post:
guyd (01-02-2013)