View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHAOS View Post
My problem is, my Saturn is reliable, economical, and cheap as dirt to drive and maintain but it’s just about the most boring car ever made. I long to drive a RWD car again but my 80mi daily commute means there is a SERIOUS fuel cost penalty to pay for something truly fun.
Sounds like you've already figured this out.

Be honest: how much difference is a car going to make in a soul-sucking 80 mile daily commute? I think we tend to over-estimate these things once the day-dreaming begins. Consider too that once the novelty wears off, you may find buyer's remorse and end up half-heartedly justifying the purchase to yourself after the fact, all the while paying through the nose vs. the Saturn.

Right tool for the right job! Sounds like you've already figured out what the right tool is.

That said, I will now contribute to this thread.

I realize you asked about highway numbers (but, again, how much will your life be enriched tootling down the highway at the speed limit in a Beemer? Oops, sorry, not contributing!), here are some city numbers that I and another EM member got in his 1997 328i sport manual:

32-36 MPG (US) city with pulse & glide and engine-off coasting, on top of all the other "basic" urban eco-driving techniques. EPA rated for 18 city. Note that highway numbers will be lower.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post340337
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget