View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CHAOS
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Why not lower the Saturn? It might make the handling bearable enough until you can afford to have a second (fun) car.
I've considered that but there are some inherent problems with the Saturn that just seem to make it not worthwhile:
-it's FWD. Even a good handling FWD car still doesn't have the "feel" of a RWD.
-It's got a soggy spongy chassis; lots of flex=no fun
-it has poor suspension geometry, including a touch of bump steer, and slow over boosted steering.

I had a Ford Focus ZX3 before and I sold it (mistake). It was worth lowering (and I did) because it had and EXCELLENT chassis and geometry. That car was a hoot on a twisty road as the balance was very good and the rear would actually step out if you were pushing hard enough. It was a shining example of how good a car can be if a little engineering effort is put into it. Comparitively, the Saturn might as well be made by John Deere.

Ultimately, I do have a "fun" car, my Mustang, I just need to finish it up. I also have a motorcycle for the nicer 8 months of the year. Really, I'm just looking for something more fun to drive on a daily basis that won't break the bank in fuel costs.