View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
I'd like to know how I missed this thread! I am curious about the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You said it your self, you're only changing speed by 5-10mph most of the time. The faster you are going the less that 5-10mph change will matter.
The more the RPMs your wheel or drive train changes the more this mod will be worth. The RPM change in the rotating mass is the only accelerating that matters here.
I think the key phrase is CHANGE in speed. F=ma, so this wheel weight will have the most affect during accel/decel, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
Jesus, how heavy is the stock wheel/tire combo on the EvoX? Also, one thing to consider is that most lightweight aftermarket combos are going to be wider than stock. 9-10" wheels wont help your aero much.

That said, yes, anytime the velocity of the car is changing, rotational inertia is working against you. You will never recover all of it by coasting so lowering the amount of inertia stored in the wheel/tire/brake combo would be beneficial.

I'd like to see someone do an ABA test with the same tires/wheel specs but somehow make one combo much heavier... weld a 10lb weight to each wheel or something.
You should see the specs on my wheels. 42# each, and 43# tires. I made a thread about wanting to get some Centerline forged replacements, but I did the math for payback, assuming a 1mpg gain and it'd take me 168,000 miles to recoup. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ate-24491.html But there is another thread from a Prius owner that shows some FE gains... http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...els-23509.html

[edit] I learned my truck's alloy wheels are 37# each. Chrome plated ones are 38# each. The steel spare is 42#.

Last edited by ECONORAM; 01-19-2013 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: wheel weight update