View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #65 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The intake coolant line is there to provide warmth to the intake air and prevent sonic freeze at high air velocities. It doesn't do much, but removing it creates a traceable increase in power when tuning. At least it did on my Civic, 3hp avg over 5 runs on a chassis dyno at 3k rpm. I never had a problem with sonic freeze, either.
I have not heard of the sonic freeze. Is this a freezing of the air passage due to the Venturi effect of air going through a narrowing in the intake, like the throttle valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Coolness!

Are you planning on refitting a heater core in your intake? I no longer use my truck for a 120 mile round trip daily commute, but while I did during this past summer, I found that a 50-55 F differential was about at the limit of what my intake heater would produce. At that, and with no aerocap at all, I could get FE figures that were identical to what I had gotten the year before with my version 2 aerocap. I have Fuelly logs (as well as what I have here at Ecomodder) that bear this out.

My current daily driver, a 2005 Dodge Magnum, is going to get a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee heater core, as opposed to the transmission oil cooler that my truck received. I modified the intake air box cover to accept the core, and hopefully tomorrow I can trim and double-flare the pipes coming out of the heater core. After that, it's a matter of hooking the installed core to the return line of my existing heater plumbing. I'm going to shoot for an 80 F differential this time.
Glad you like it! I have not decided if I'll take the plunge on a heater core intake mod. I was actually contemplating moving the filter box directly behind the radiator, and removing all the intake turns. Might get another degree or two with it sitting on top of the engine.

Last edited by ECONORAM; 01-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: missed a quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECONORAM For This Useful Post:
t vago (01-04-2013)