View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The one mod I made was to block up the escape vent holes in the chin area, after I had blocked up most of the grill. Because the stock grill opening was way too big, they had to let air escape; but after the grill blocks are in, all the air needs to go through the radiator. So, in my case it is not so much a duct, but rather a plenum.

An exhaust louver in the center of the hood would greatly improved the flow, but that is a lot of work.
That's basically what I have done, sealed all holes to front of engine bay and forcing all air through the radiator and in my case also the engine intake air draws from this plenum, it's a turbo diesel so there was an immediate improvement in performance there.

I am now working on a design to shroud the outlet side of the radiator and use this shroud to control airflow through radiator, so if the radiator outlet is controlled, how relevant is the blocking of the actual grill because the flow is already restricted by the shroud?

Edit: Just to add I have a top mounted intercooler with bonnet scoop, which also performs better with all excess holes sealed and this is where the engine bay area gets the bulk of it's ventilation from in a downdraft fashion, I have a very narrow gap on the exhaust side which allows a small amount of air past the intercooler and down past the exhaust to keep this area at a reasonable temp.

Last edited by Tesla; 01-06-2013 at 07:52 AM..