View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I hate the gas pedal and the clutch pedal as well as the brake pedal. I also hate the fact that you can not recover energy without an electric motor and hundreds of pounds of batteries. Even with the motor and batteries you can only recover a small percentage of otherwise wasted energy.

Sure a manual transmission would be great if it could recover braking energy and always have a gear that allowed only best BSFC engine operation, but there has not been one built in hundreds of years and if it ever is built it will not be simple and inexpensive. A manual can not maintain a constant speed while the engine is cycled on and off in only it's most efficient range of operation.

I want a transmission that has capacitive energy storage and infinitely variable ratios. A transmission that allows me to hypermile like I could in the ideal set of hills that would allow best BSFC climbing and engine off coasting, while my speed does not change 1 MPH in the whole sequence.

I want to be able to do this on flat ground, in stop a go bumper to bumper traffic. In every scenario you can imagine except a very steep dowhill grade of many miles that would mean I would coast down that grade at over the practical speed limit.

A few years back I built a flywheel that would spin for over 3 minutes if you let the bearing run dry, but that time was cut in half when the bearings were oiled. In a manual transmission you have 6 or more gear sets in constant mesh as well as 6 bearings, both bathed in gear lube that are also creating resistance and drag. It seems like the generally accepted range of losses in a manual is about 10%, with more losees in the rest of the powertrain with every connection contributing to those losses, both with friction and inertia.

Twp pedals gimballed so when one is depressed, the other rises. Right side is go forward, left side is slow down and even go backwards after you stop and push a button, so you wouldn't back up into the car behind you at a traffic light.

regards
Mech