View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #75 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)

(Above: My Winter Workshop)

Did a little work on the truck.
Hmmm. January in Wisconsin. Sure makes me wish I had a heated workspace...

I decided that I'd like to get the bed off. That would let me see what space I have to work with for the batteries, the motor position, and how I am going to arrange the fuel tank and everything else this project will need.

I PB Blastered the bed-to-frame bolts and managed to get them all out without significant problems. (Other than getting PB Blaster in my eye. It still stings a little. )

I also disconnected the gas tank filler. As somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, maybe one thing I want to do is remove the stock tank. That would give me more space for batteries, and I could install a small racing tank in the bed or at an alternate location under the bed. Since I would need a different filler for diesel pumps instead of gasoline, swapping out to a different tank that would already have a nice wide cap on it might make sense.

I unplugged the tail-light wire harness in the back corner of the truck, and with that, the bed is disconnected. It's still just sitting there, but only gravity is holding it on now.

(Above: With the bed up on spacer blocks, you can clearly see the front two passenger-side bed-to-frame mounts.)

Latest update on my blog is:SuperTruck: Frozen Bed Removal

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos