View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannoe View Post
However, I think you have turbulent and laminar flow flip-flopped. Laminar flow will separate early while the turbulent air tends to 'stick' a little longer. ...
You know, I've been wondering about the Coanda effect and its limits.
I may as well have misjudged the role of laminar flow and turbulence. I can't be certain. But I find the Coanda effect hard to explain with anything other than laminar flow.

The only thing that can make a stream of air or water alter its direction is a difference in pressure (and vice versa).
I can visualize that happening in laminar flow. I cannot visualise that in turbulent flow. Parts of a turbulent flow will follow the bend but as it requires less energy to just move on, that's what most of the air will do.

But I do admit that I worry about the effect of zigzag tape on the corner to break the Coanda effect. A sharp edge will break the effect but that does not depend on the properties of the airflow (being laminar or turbulent). The zigzag tape however only works if my argument is true and yours is not. Which makes my alarm bells ring. Or, scientifically; Hey, this might be interesting; what is really happening here?

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-21-2013 at 05:47 PM..