View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #27 (permalink)
ryannoe
Not Ordinary Engineering

RedDevil - I'm treading lightly around the Coanda effect. I believe the "Coanda effect" is really just a case of Bernoulli's principle without the duct. You can't have it without there being a jet present. Please don't believe 99% of what you read on the web about it, because it looks like it's coming from those "scientists" that "don't need a formal education". You know, the ones that think you can put a wind turbine on a car and drive for free. At least those were the sites Google pulled up for me.

Take a piece of paper and hold one end of it. Let the other end dangle. Blow strongly across the top surface of the paper and it will lift. This is because the static pressure in the jet is less than the static pressure of the ambient air. The air between the paper and your blown jet is sucked up into the jet and thus lifting the paper. This principle explains why the wake pressure behind flow separation is governed by the low pressure of the separation point. The air is being sucked back up to the low pressure point at the separation (flow reversal...).

BACK TO YOUR CAR AND CROSSWIND...
I'd suspect the influence to your vehicle's aerodynamic AoA is causing induced drag but the big culprit is probably the incidental lift. Although the lift is perpendicular to your path (so it shouldn't matter right?), you're having to compensate for that perpendicular force by correcting your steering. I bet your MPG losses are due to your now misaligned wheels rubbing the road to make up for your aerodynamic force vector.

Bed time! Have a great night!

-Ryan