View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
bhtooefr
EcoModding Lurker

Prius - '16 Toyota Prius Three
You know, the city economy being as far off of the highway economy as it is - they're claiming 49/84, and we don't even know what test cycle that's on (EPA motorcycle fuel economy claims are typically unadjusted city, which is the pre-1985 car city standard), and we know the aero's not gonna be great, either, so if it were light, I'd expect high 60s city - makes me suspect that this thing is HEAVY. As in 1500-1800 pounds, as a random guess.

Like, iron block, and some lead tossed in the nose to keep the thing planted.

Anyway, as far as emissions, they can run much worse emissions - essentially, something that would've passed in 1995 in a car - due to being a motorcycle. This opens up some efficiency options like lean burn, as well as lower cost diesels. Safety, they don't have to meet (but seem to be choosing to - the side impact tests will be interesting to see, but frontal it'll ace easily, I expect, especially frontal offset).

An interesting point that I found when researching the legality of three-wheeled vehicles, though - in MA, they'll have to remove the back seat for it to legally be a motorcycle - enclosed three-wheel motorcycles can only be single-seaters, there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; 01-09-2013 at 10:02 PM..