View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
crashnzuk
EcoModding Lurker

Hey all, I'm new here but have been reading what I can about pick-ups. Has anyone checked economy while towing a trailer, shell vs open bed? I am making a trip to Idaho from California next week and will be towing my open car trailer with my '91 Dodge W250 4x4 reg cab long bed diesel pick-up. The truck is stock height (tallish) with an older Warn brand winch/bumper combo up front that I have fitted with an air dam that hangs 12" below the bumper with the bottom edge about 13" off the ground (even with the front axle centerline).

On the way up I will have an AMC Eagle wagon on the trailer and on the way back I will have a '71 Dodge D100 2wd flatbed on it. I would think that having a shell on the back would direct the air over/around the trailered vehicle better vs an open bed, do you guys think this is a fair assessment?

I can borrow a shell from a friend that has the same truck as mine to make the trip. I ran this same combo (air dam and shell) in the spring to Idaho and back, but wasn't towing anything and had a couple tanks with my best MPG to date, so I think it has merit. Just wondering what your thoughts are about hooking an open car trailer up behind it with the vehicles mentioned.

Thoughts?

Travis..