View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Been reading in the Geo Metro forum that these things tend to "eat exhaust valves like crazy". (not sure if that includes BOTH the 3 cylinder AND 4 cylinder engines?) Mechanic says he doesn't doubt the valves are "it", but wants to compression check ("dry" & then "wet") & make sure. He says it doesn't smoke or have enough miles (136,XXX) to make him think it needs rings, but the dry/wet test will shed light on that.

However, on the Metro forum, I'm seeing the advice of "if you do one, do both" (valves & rings). While I'd love to have that engine "like new", I'm on pretty tight budget, and am thinking it would be a lot more to take the whole engine out for rings (and if you're gonna do that, better do bearings & hone the cylinders, right?).

There also seems to have been some sort of leak over on the front (belt) side. A streak of oil is on the underside of the hood in line with the belts. I don't know, but have a sick feeling it might be like the front main seal or something. The alternator was actually douched-out in oil/grease, and the mechanic says that sped it's demise. So I can't be allowing that to continue with the new alternator.

So what do you think? Try to get by cheap (for now) with just a valve job? What if we find out it's the front main seal? Does that require removing the engine? I think this thing will need more work before I'm done. I heard a nasty clicking - almost like a few rocks rolling around in a coffee can - when under power or acceleration, especially when turning, especially when turning left. Axle end joints? The driver's side rear tire wears really badly on the outside, too. Rear alignment? Is there such a thing?

Advice, please? Thanx

Oh, the oil gets REALLY black & yucky by the time I change it (5000 miles), too. I'm guessing that means something's getting down in there that shouldn't. Rings?

Last edited by wmjinman; 01-24-2013 at 10:42 PM..