View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #66 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
After two full years of being mounted on the car, the panels had to come off for a tire alignment.

Getting the fasteners out proved difficult, as many were rusted in and simply broke off when trying to be eased out with the screw driver.

The car went in for alignment, and after it came back, I had to drill out several of the broken fasteners.

Most of the panels looked pretty good, but several had some severe water damage and needed to be fixed.

The panel shown below is from the location right under the engine, and the section affected is right in front of the front tire, and gets quite a bit of water/snow flung from the front tire.

There are cut wood dowels that fasten to the underside of the grill fascia and hold the panel in that location. These wood dowels were complete saturated with water and had to be removed, and new one's embedded back into the foam in the same location.

This time, epoxy/micro balloons were mixed to form a slurry, that will hold and seal the wood dowels and not break down chemically from the water.

Jim.
Pretty remarkable for your first undertray project and 2 years of use. Just pointers to help you (and us) make better aero parts down the road. Well done. I took some pointers from your construction and material choices. might have to follow suit on my wife's Avenger. With the truck I went the route jime57 did; 0.050" aluminum sheet down the center, with corroplast on the sides and plastic automotive fasteners and 1/4" bolts (had to start somewhere). I might have to incorporate some of your foam building in the engine bay. Thanks for sharing!