View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Like I said in this thread or another, you'd have to adjust for the tires' useable lifespan... trucks and SUVs often have tires that last past 100k, while cars tires usually degrade before that.

After thinking about it a bit more... that might simply be a disincentive for people to buy either long-lasting tires (which are good from a fuel economy and wastage standpoint) or grippy tires (which are good from a safety standpoint) depending on how the tax is calculated.

Which leads us back to simply taxing mles on the road, which is still the most fair way of doing it.
You are absolutely right. Now IF the only tax were that of how much we drove (or used the road), that would be fine. But the miles we drive is already registered on our odometers and duly recorded when our cars are subject to yearly inspection (with a the mandatory inspection fee levied by the state) and registered (with another mandatory fee levied by the state). Then our vehicles (subject to mandatory liability insurance regulation, also imposed by the state) also collects from us according to how many miles we have driven (as compared to the data collected by the state in inspection and registration records). And then there is also the hidden tax levied on gasoline supposedly collected for road usage or road maintenance, already included in the price of fuel at the pump.

Let's try this: every time you open the door to your vehicle and sit in the driver's seat let's mandate that there will be a required sensor in the vehicle that records your posterior and sends a signal out for you to be taxed by government. Even if your are making love while parked and sitting in the driver's seat you need to pay up. Let's make sure this new tax is in addition to all those other vehicular taxes you already pay.

I'm sure some here will think this to be a good idea and support it. (Perhaps I should not have suggested this, as it might be taken seriously and sent to the administration to be the next thing the government imposes upon us.)