View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #85 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
What a great suggestion Carlos gave. Thanks for adding it that way. It suggests that taller is not better if it means significantly heavier, but that weights being relatively equal taller is quite a bit better than OEM. Given my plan to go taller on the fronts and create a net loss in weight by balancing it with smaller rear tires--all on the stock 15" wheels--this is really encouraging data. Much obliged. Model test. I'll have to consult this again next time I'm testing. You do these well.
In general, I think you are right about taller tires. However, I'd suggest folks consider their top gear ratio before plunking down some money on taller wheels/tires. My truck has a 3.55 rear end, and 5th gear is a 0.67. The engine turns only 1900 rpm at 70mph. With SentraSE-R's engine originally turning 3200 rpm at 60mph, I'm not surprised taller tires helped.

@SentraSE-R, thanks for sharing the test results. Your results match results I found at TireRack: Wheel Tech - Road Wheel Weights Can Affect Your Vehicle's Show...and Go but you were more thorough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerc2000 View Post
humm I wonder if I will notice an increase in my FE

dont laugh but I have a 2010 honda element SC not exactly the most gas friendly vehicle with my best mpg being 24.4 :/

but my oem wheels and tires are very heavy. 18x7 with some 225/55-18s.

they weigh in @62lb wheel+tire

ive purchased some larger wheels.

19X9 and 19X10s with 245/45-19 front 275/40-19 rear. (I understand rolling resistance will be worse.)

but the fronts will weigh in @45lb the rears 49lb

do you think this will effect my economy in a good or bad way?
If you didn't get a Scangauge, an Ultragauge, an MPGuino or OBDuino yet, (I think that's the big 4) by all means do so! Use it to not only monitor your daily driving, but to keep a daily fuel log. Log what mileage you get each time you drive. This makes you more aware of what your driving habits are doing...and what those new wheels and tires are doing for you.