View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
MTXA
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
In my case, I took my present job 11 years ago. I was driving 90 miles round trip. It was economically viable to move to the town where I work and I bought a house 1 1/2 miles from my job. I rode my motorcycle in decent weather and my E150 van the remainder of time. I've developed arthritis in my wrists and had to give up motorcycles.

A year ago I made a commitment to myself to eliminate as much gasoline usage as possible. I replaced my van with a Scion XA with a manual transmission. It is outfitted with an Ultragauge and for my commute I have set the main screen to include short range trip (srt). I encounter three stop signs and two traffic lights on my way to work. I coast in neutral as much as possible in between stops and time the traffic lights to avoid stopping.

I am presently going to be installing a 400w cartridge style block heater and am contemplating a 125w oil pan heater for a couple of reasons. First is to get in to closed loop as quickly as possible. The second is in an attempt to try to eliminate all or some of the crankcase condensation. I am also going to be doing a complete grill block.