View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
MTXA
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
When you are ready to seriously cut down on the dino addiction, check into electric- bike, scooter, cart, car, whatever. They are perfect for such a short run.
I agree that my short run could be better done with electric. The barriers at this time are:

1. Garage space. I prefer to keep my vehicles garaged to keep them in decent condition. I live in the rust belt. My wifes car & mine fill the garage.

2. Range. I have family that I visit where I moved from (90 miles round). In the summer I would be at the maximum range of most that I have looked at and in the winter it wouldn't be possible.

3. Electric bikes that are worth owning are pretty pricy. I do have and ride a decent Cannondale road bike that is cheaper yet. Problem is I work second shift and even in my short commute I see some really strange examples of driving by others on the road. I'm too young to die (but not too pretty)

4. Scooters. I'm 6'1" & 210lbs. The scooters that I have ridden don't appreciate me.

My XA burns a half gallon a week average with just commuting. If I can marginally increase that to get two & a half weeks driving from a gallon, well, I'm going to feel a little smug. From what I have read about the 2013 Mitsubishi Mirage, in a few years when they enter the used market I'm going to be very interested.