View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
HilseeJ
EcoModding Lurker

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
I'm not sure I believe the mechanics statement.
It's hard to tell, really. My CEL would blink when I was EOC'ing and I've had to replace 2 parts that would be associated with damage related to EOC'ing via key-off.

The spark plugs that were fouled undoubtedly had an incredibly low amount of mileage on them and I have heard theories on this forum about keying off resulting in fuel being sprayed into the engine. (These were dismissed by naysayers, but it appears to be true in my case...)

Quote:
I used to perform regular key-off-coasting with my Cavalier, and had no problems at with this method.
It was the same with my older cars. I lost power steering, but didn't care. For some reason this car just doesn't like me.

Quote:
The Insight now has a FAS board installed, which removes power to the injectors, effectively stopping the motor, and I still have no issues using this method.
So, is this when you key-off? Or...? I'm not sure what a FAS board is called and I'm not that technically sound

Quote:
I sometimes get a hesitation in acceleration when again turning the motor back on, but it is a brief pause, probably due to the fuel circuit pressurizing again.
Hmmm. This hesitation was an incredible amount of jerking and wasn't JUST after turning the motor back on.

Quote:
And one can not "see" fuel vapor on a ceramic plug tip, since the fuel quickly evaporates with such a small film thickness. You may however see the carbon residue however, but this would be after running the engine and then depositing enough carbon to actually "view" it.
I feel like it's hard to tell. I guess it could have been carbon but I dunno. I feel like he would have been able to tell the difference between the two? Maybe I'm putting too much trust in my mechanic.

-

Not attempting to be harsh, but I've taken WAY too much information on this forum as truth, only to find out it's not true.

Last edited by HilseeJ; 02-01-2013 at 09:16 PM..