View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Sorry, Man. I was at work.
you're excused- dont make a habit of it

Quote:
Cold air intake is better for diesels. More oxygen per volume.
Quote:
Does your fresh air intake hose connect behind the right( as sitting in the drivers seat) head light? Mine does, but I'm thinking of moving it...haven't decided.
On the casual glances I've had at the air-filter area (yes, its behind the RHS headlight) I reckon it'd be fairly easy to fabricate an enclosure to force it to draw air only from outside the engine bay- effectively building a CAI

Quote:
Warm engine is good. There is a thread around here somewhere that describes how to make your thermostat open a 200 degrees f instead of 185/192. I'll try to find it.
I'd envisaged controlling the engine temp by increasing insulation in the engine bay, e.g.

Thicker Insulation on the bonnet/hood

An under tray below the car to seal off the compartment

Upper/Lower grill blocks

Quote:
No throttle body or ventury( except for more modern engines that have a DPF( diesel particulate filter) that has to regenerate itself from time to time, but that doesn't concern us here.
I believe my car may have an EGR- I may have a raid at the weekend and clean/clear whatever I can in the engine bay- can't do much harm!

Quote:
I've heard good things about your and my engines for veggie oil conversions, but I think we both need to research more in that area. I haven't started yet, so I don't have much info there. I do know that used ATF( automatic transmission fluid) mixes with diesel and burns quite good.
Some googling, and conversations with mates suggest that the Bosch fuelpump on our lumps is happy with veg.

Key seems to be starting off with low concentrations (10/20/30%) and slowly ramp it up. Additionally fuel filter changes to catch any crud flushed out would be a plan. Filters are cheap..

Once I get past 30% veg, I'd see a significant decrease in fuel costs per mile..

Quote:
My suggestions for aero would be; upper grill block, belly pan( removable for MOT inspections), and rear wheel skirts( done tastefully, of course). Maybe a kamm-back if it doesn't attract any unwanted attention from the highway patrol.
I like the upper grill block/belly pan combo.

Rear wheel skirts and Kamm back would attract (unwanted) attention.

I could, however, possibly go for wheel covers, and possibly "spats" to deflect air round the tyres?

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------