View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
bdesj
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Two of us would sprint together could go a mile almost. I would ride the last hundred yards leaned over the bars as the rear tire was bottoming out. My friend would stop pump my tire enought and we would take off for another dash.We kept up with the group.
Far out!

My best flat story was due to a total brain fart that I can hardly believe I committed. An acquaintence with a cross bike asked about conditions a particular dirt road route that I had ridden many times on fat tires. Would he be able to get through okay with 32mm cross tires? I told him he probably could, but decided to check for myself by riding it on 26 x 1.25 Paselas. I took off with one tube in addition to my standard fixit stuff, which included pump, one extra tube, and no patches. How stupid! When I got the first flat, I was about 15 paved miles plus 6 or 7 dirt miles from home and it suddenly dawned on me what an idiot I was. I fixed that one and imposed a 5 MPH speed limit on myself in order to (hopefully) prevent any more pinches. That did get me home, but I sure felt like an idiot! After that trip, I started carrying a little box of self adhesive patches in my bag- just in case