View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I deserve a cookie. Unfortunately, some people just won't be helped.

Monday night was a wet, snowy mess on the roads. After several miles in first and second gear, we finally got it up to 40. Later on when traffic dropped off and I could go faster, I kept it at 40- the night had already sucked badly enough and I wasn't going to cap it off by destroying all FE by racing through the slop in an effort to get home not quite as late.

Things went smoothly, and then the road narrowed. I picked up a small following which I didn't feel bad about- there are plenty of passing opportunities there, and if nobody's going to take them then they can just shut the hell up about my speed. For the particularly dense there's a 2 mile long climbing lane after a while, anyway.

Then we got to the hill. I figured the right lane would be clear, leaving a double helping of slop for the folks to pass in, which I still wouldn't feel bad about- you've got 2 miles to make the pass, so do it already! Except the left lane was the one that was clear. I moved into the slop and 5 cars soon passed me. I moved back left and watched a sixth car slowly gaining on me. When he was a reasonable distance behind me I moved back into the slop and he continued to close, but then held off and matched my speed a few lengths behind me. Meanwhile, I'm trudging through the slop trying to be a nice guy. Eventually I moved over and held him up for 10 miles until my turn. Chump don' wan' no help, chump don' git no help. Jive ass dude don' got no brains anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%