View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilseeJ View Post
If you're talking about the gaps where the radiator stops but the gaps are still there on each side of the grill, then yes, I have that. Are you suggesting blocking the sides?
Yes, and the top and bottom also. Basically you want a duct from the grille to the radiator, so if any air comes in through the grille, it won't go around the rad.

Quote:
How will I know what the optimal temperature is? Do I want to keep it at the same temperature as what it would be without the grill blocks?
Normally a slightly higher temperature is good for fuel efficiency. A few ecomodders have switched their 185°F thermostat for a 195°F model. You probably shouldn't go above 205°F too often.

Quote:
@ Piwoslaw:

How much did that whole automatic setup cost? Even if it's only $20, that seems kinda high considering that's basically a tank of gas.
That depends on how much you pay for fuel. Here a gallon costs about $6. The two motors (one of the radiator, one for the intercooler) cost maybe $12, plus switches would bring it to $20. Plastic, screws, wires and other random stuff was free.
In my case the grille block is a must: My turbodiesel is already quite efficient, so with efficient driving it is wasting very little energy in the form of heat. In sub-freezing temperatures I have trouble keeping at operating temperature (>80°C/176°F), even with grille blocks and engine insulation. So in my case it's about keeping the engine at a healthy temperature.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
mcrews (02-03-2013)